Dangerous to have a weak PM: Anna
New Delhi: Upset with the draft report of the Parliamentary Standing Committee examining the Lokpal Bill, noted social activist Anna Hazare on Friday made a direct attack on the Congress-led UPA government by saying having a weak Prime Minister is dangerous for the country.
In an obvious reference to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the anti-corruption crusader said, “It is dangerous to have such a weak Prime Minister,” adding, “He could have introduced a strong Lokpal if he wanted.”
He also blamed Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and HRD Minister Kapil Sibal for creating confusion on the Lokpal issue and complicating the nation`s fight for a strong anti-graft legislation.
The septuagenarian social worker also alleged that Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi was exerting undue pressure on the Standing Committee members from the civil society to accept the draft prepared by the government.
He said this in an interview to a private news channel. His reaction came shortly after the final draft of the Lokpal Bill was tabled in Rajya Sabha today.
The Lokpal Bill draft was tabled in the Rajya Sabha by Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Chairman of the Standing Committee on Law and Justice.
Meanwhile, the Gandhian activist is all set to hold a day-long fast at Jantar Mantar on December 11 to press for a strong anti-graft legislation.
Team Anna had earlier rejected the government draft of the Lokpal Bill, saying it will have no impact on corruption. On the contrary, it is likely to dismantle whatever exists in the name of anti-corruption in this country and further weaken the CBI by dividing it into three parts, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister