Dangerous to have a weak PM: Anna
New Delhi: Upset with the draft report of the Parliamentary Standing Committee examining the Lokpal Bill, noted social activist Anna Hazare on Friday made a direct attack on the Congress-led UPA government by saying having a weak Prime Minister is dangerous for the country.
In an obvious reference to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the anti-corruption crusader said, “It is dangerous to have such a weak Prime Minister,” adding, “He could have introduced a strong Lokpal if he wanted.”
He also blamed Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and HRD Minister Kapil Sibal for creating confusion on the Lokpal issue and complicating the nation`s fight for a strong anti-graft legislation.
The septuagenarian social worker also alleged that Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi was exerting undue pressure on the Standing Committee members from the civil society to accept the draft prepared by the government.
He said this in an interview to a private news channel. His reaction came shortly after the final draft of the Lokpal Bill was tabled in Rajya Sabha today.
The Lokpal Bill draft was tabled in the Rajya Sabha by Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Chairman of the Standing Committee on Law and Justice.
Meanwhile, the Gandhian activist is all set to hold a day-long fast at Jantar Mantar on December 11 to press for a strong anti-graft legislation.
Team Anna had earlier rejected the government draft of the Lokpal Bill, saying it will have no impact on corruption. On the contrary, it is likely to dismantle whatever exists in the name of anti-corruption in this country and further weaken the CBI by dividing it into three parts, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says