Delhi gang-rape victim honoured with Rani Laxmi Bai award
New Delhi: As a tribute to the Delhi gangrape victim, the government on Friday bestowed the Rani Laxmi Bai - Stree Shakti award to `spirit of Nirbhaya`, a pseudonym given to her.
The award, presented on the International Women`s Day by President Pranab Mukherjee, was received by the mother of the 23-year-old paramedical student at a function where her father and two younger brothers were also present.
"I am particularly happy that Rani Laxmi Bai award has been given to the spirit of Nirbhaya....Nirbhaya as she is now known, was a brave and courageous girl who fought till the very last for her dignity and life," Mukherjee said in his speech.
"She is a true hero and symbolises the best in Indian youth and women. Her sad demise should not be in vain. We must do everything to ensure that such an incident never happens again," he added.
The citation of the award to the spirit of Nirbhaya said that it was in acknowledgement of the contribution of thousands of man, women, boys and girls who turned the dark hour into a momentous cry for justice and freedom for all women from violence.
Mukherjee said that as citizens, "we must strive that women feel safe and secure at all times in our country and said that as a society, the endeavour should be to remove all negative perceptions against them".
Mukherjee also lauded the work of five other winners of the Stree Shakti awards.
The Rani Rudramma Devi award was given to Assamese social worker Pranita Talukdar, Mata Jijabai award to artist Sonika Agarwal, Kannagi award to Guramma H Sankina of Karnataka, Rani Gidinliu Zeliang award to Keralite social worker Omana TK and Devi Ahilyabai Holkar award to Olga D`Mello from Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui