Delhi gang-rape victim honoured with Rani Laxmi Bai award
New Delhi: As a tribute to the Delhi gangrape victim, the government on Friday bestowed the Rani Laxmi Bai - Stree Shakti award to `spirit of Nirbhaya`, a pseudonym given to her.
The award, presented on the International Women`s Day by President Pranab Mukherjee, was received by the mother of the 23-year-old paramedical student at a function where her father and two younger brothers were also present.
"I am particularly happy that Rani Laxmi Bai award has been given to the spirit of Nirbhaya....Nirbhaya as she is now known, was a brave and courageous girl who fought till the very last for her dignity and life," Mukherjee said in his speech.
"She is a true hero and symbolises the best in Indian youth and women. Her sad demise should not be in vain. We must do everything to ensure that such an incident never happens again," he added.
The citation of the award to the spirit of Nirbhaya said that it was in acknowledgement of the contribution of thousands of man, women, boys and girls who turned the dark hour into a momentous cry for justice and freedom for all women from violence.
Mukherjee said that as citizens, "we must strive that women feel safe and secure at all times in our country and said that as a society, the endeavour should be to remove all negative perceptions against them".
Mukherjee also lauded the work of five other winners of the Stree Shakti awards.
The Rani Rudramma Devi award was given to Assamese social worker Pranita Talukdar, Mata Jijabai award to artist Sonika Agarwal, Kannagi award to Guramma H Sankina of Karnataka, Rani Gidinliu Zeliang award to Keralite social worker Omana TK and Devi Ahilyabai Holkar award to Olga D`Mello from Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border