Delhi rape shame: PM, govt lack sensitivity to deal with crime against women, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday charged that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his government lack the courage and the sensitivity needed to deal with issues like security of women and increasing frequency of rape cases in the capital and the rest of the country.
Addressing a public meeting here, BJP President Rajnath Singh said the UPA government is inching towards "zero sensitivity" towards the plight of women.
"The Prime Minister of the country should be like a lion and at the same time, he should have sensitivity. Every other day cases of rape are coming to light.
Somewhere, the Delhi government and the government at the Centre have both become insensitive on this issue," Singh said.
In the wake of the brutal rape of a five-year-old in the capital, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had earlier demanded that those guilty of raping minors and involved in brutal rapes should be given death sentence. The anti-rape law should incorporate these provisions, she said.
Singh also expressed strong views on the matter and held the government responsible for the present state of affairs.
"The Central government is devoid of all sensitivity. The mark of any good government is sensitivity. But this government appears to have become zero-sensitive," the BJP president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi