Delhi rape shame: PM, govt lack sensitivity to deal with crime against women, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday charged that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his government lack the courage and the sensitivity needed to deal with issues like security of women and increasing frequency of rape cases in the capital and the rest of the country.
Addressing a public meeting here, BJP President Rajnath Singh said the UPA government is inching towards "zero sensitivity" towards the plight of women.
"The Prime Minister of the country should be like a lion and at the same time, he should have sensitivity. Every other day cases of rape are coming to light.
Somewhere, the Delhi government and the government at the Centre have both become insensitive on this issue," Singh said.
In the wake of the brutal rape of a five-year-old in the capital, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had earlier demanded that those guilty of raping minors and involved in brutal rapes should be given death sentence. The anti-rape law should incorporate these provisions, she said.
Singh also expressed strong views on the matter and held the government responsible for the present state of affairs.
"The Central government is devoid of all sensitivity. The mark of any good government is sensitivity. But this government appears to have become zero-sensitive," the BJP president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?