Delhi rape shame: PM, govt lack sensitivity to deal with crime against women, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday charged that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his government lack the courage and the sensitivity needed to deal with issues like security of women and increasing frequency of rape cases in the capital and the rest of the country.
Addressing a public meeting here, BJP President Rajnath Singh said the UPA government is inching towards "zero sensitivity" towards the plight of women.
"The Prime Minister of the country should be like a lion and at the same time, he should have sensitivity. Every other day cases of rape are coming to light.
Somewhere, the Delhi government and the government at the Centre have both become insensitive on this issue," Singh said.
In the wake of the brutal rape of a five-year-old in the capital, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had earlier demanded that those guilty of raping minors and involved in brutal rapes should be given death sentence. The anti-rape law should incorporate these provisions, she said.
Singh also expressed strong views on the matter and held the government responsible for the present state of affairs.
"The Central government is devoid of all sensitivity. The mark of any good government is sensitivity. But this government appears to have become zero-sensitive," the BJP president said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know