Did Chidambaram offer to quit?
New Delhi: A day after Prime Minister reiterated his faith in P Chidambaram, who is battling to steer clear of the 2G spectrum taint, reports claimed Friday that the Home Minister had offered to quit over the issue.
Reports suggested that the PM does not the 2G scam damage to spread further and drag in of more ministers. Soon after the ‘secret note’, sent by the finance ministry to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), that suggested that Chidambaram (as finance minister) could have ensured, had in wanted, on auctioning of 2G spectrum in 2008, came to the fore, the Home Minister had called up the Prime Minister.
The Home Minister reportedly offered to quit but the Prime minister told him to not take any “hasty decisions” and wait for him to come back from the United States on September 27.
Later during an interaction with the press, Manmohan Singh said, “As far as Mr Chidambaram is concerned, he enjoyed my confidence as finance minister and continues to inspire my confidence as Home Minister.”
The Congress party also seems to be working on the same lines with the party offering unequivocal support to Chidambaram. Party leaders have sworn by the integrity of the home minister and scoffed at any suggestions that he had in any way played a role in the faulty spectrum allocation policy adopted by former telecom minister A Raja.
Pranab Mukherjee, his ministry had virtually blamed Chidambaram for not taking pre-emptive action, also called up Chidambaram from the US. He reportedly told an upset Chidambaram that the document that put the blame on the home minister was a ‘background note’ and that he had not approved the letter.
Party president Sonia Gandhi is said to have been kept informed about the development and she would step in after both the Prime Minister and Pranab Mukherjee return back to the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read