Education quality poor in India: Sam Pitroda
Kolkata: Sam Pitroda, a senior advisor to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Thursday voiced concern over the quality of education in India.
"Leaving aside the top five percent universities, I feel the quality of education in India is pretty bad and I say it with a great deal of concern," Pitroda said here.
The advisor to the prime minister on public information infrastructure and innovations was speaking at the first convocation of Presidency University.
Pitroda, known for heralding the telecom revolution in India, accused some in the concerned ministries and educational authorities of "living in the dark ages".
"How to think out of the box and restructure education? This is where mindset comes in... The mindset of government, the ministries and UGC (University Grants Commission) is just not changing fast enough... Some of these people are living in dark ages," he said.
"Eight bills are lying in parliament because these are generational changes. I am quite concerned about our abilities to focus on reforms and development," he said.
Pitroda also emphasised the positive role of the government.
"This government has also focused on democratisation of information... The right to information...public information...connectivity of the panchayats...
"All these programmes are designed to democratise information. This government doesn`t get the credit it deserves in all these areas," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says