Elections 2014: MJ Akbar, NK Singh join BJP
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: In the run-up to General Elections 2014, the Bharatiya Janata Party on Saturday managed to bring senior journalist MJ Akbar and ex-bureaucrat and Rajya Sabha member NK Singh into its fold.
MJ Akbar was inducted into the BJP by party president Rajnath Singh in the afternoon here.
"I have come back to politics because of policy. The crisis in front of the country is known to all. This is an opportunity to do whatever little we can do for our country," he said after joining the party.
"It is our duty to join hands with the voice of the nation and bring the country back to a recovery mission. I look forward to working in BJP," he told reporters.
This is not Akbar`s first stint with politics as he had earlier contested the elections from Kishanganj in Bihar on Congress ticket.
There is talk that the journalist may be fielded by the BJP as a Lok Sabha candidate.
Later in the day, NK Singh was also inducted into the BJP.
NK Singh quit the JD(U) yesterday saying he was disappointed that the party had not re-nominated him for the Rajya Sabha. He was particularly angry at the was the nomination was denied to him.
He also accused Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar of shifting the focus from development to his government`s survival following the end of alliance with the BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez