Ex-Cabinet secretary Zafar Saifullah is dead
Mumbai: Former Cabinet secretary Zafar Saifullah died in New Delhi last week, his family announced here on Wednesday. He was 78.
He is survived by his wife Kulsoom Noor, eight children and 12 grandchildren.
"He passed away peacefully and with his entire family by his side. As he would have wished, we did not announce the sad news as it was Ramadan and we did not want to spoil the joy of Eid-ul-Fitr," Kulsoom Noor told a news agency here on Wednesday.
Zaifullah breathed his last on Friday after a brief illness. His body was brought to Mumbai where it was laid to rest at the Sulaimani Bohra cemetery on Grant Road.
Born in a middle-class Sulaimani Bohra family of Khar suburb, Mumbai where he grew up and was educated, Saifullah was an IAS officer from the Karnataka cadre. He was appointed as the Cabinet secretary during 1993-94, and was the first Muslim to occupy the position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda