Ex-Cabinet secretary Zafar Saifullah is dead
Mumbai: Former Cabinet secretary Zafar Saifullah died in New Delhi last week, his family announced here on Wednesday. He was 78.
He is survived by his wife Kulsoom Noor, eight children and 12 grandchildren.
"He passed away peacefully and with his entire family by his side. As he would have wished, we did not announce the sad news as it was Ramadan and we did not want to spoil the joy of Eid-ul-Fitr," Kulsoom Noor told a news agency here on Wednesday.
Zaifullah breathed his last on Friday after a brief illness. His body was brought to Mumbai where it was laid to rest at the Sulaimani Bohra cemetery on Grant Road.
Born in a middle-class Sulaimani Bohra family of Khar suburb, Mumbai where he grew up and was educated, Saifullah was an IAS officer from the Karnataka cadre. He was appointed as the Cabinet secretary during 1993-94, and was the first Muslim to occupy the position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers