Examine Homoeopathic drug for cancer treatment, govt told
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday asked the Centre and the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy to conduct clinical trial of a homoeopathic medicine for treatment of cancer patients.
A bench of justices B S Chauhan and Swatanter Kumar directed that a task force of the Council, to be headed by the Centre`s Director General of Health Services, would examine the effectiveness of the homoeopathic medicine, invented by Dr A M Mathur, in cancer treatment.
The court passed the order on a plea by World Homoeopathic Development Organisation, a Gurgaon-based organisation, which had sought the court`s direction to the government to "commission research for homoeopathic composition for cure of cancer."
The plea claimed that the drug, invented by Dr Mathur, could be an efficacious, cost-effective and safe alternative treatment for cancer patients.
The organisation had moved the apex court following the doctor’s failure to convince the Union ministry of health and family welfare’s department `Ayush` and the Council to hold clinical trial of the drug for cancer treatment.
The bench, after hearing the argument, directed the Council to examine the drug and submit a report to it within three weeks.
"It is not an adversarial litigation. Think of human good. If the drug is useless then throw it out," the bench said while posting the case for further hearing on September 3.
According to the plea, Dr Mathur has been treating cancer patients with the medicine since 1999 after he got it patented with the government. He had also been issued license to manufacture and sell the medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened