Focus should be now on education and healthcare for women: Advani
New Delhi: In the backdrop of the Delhi gang- rape incident, BJP leader L K Advani today said the focus should be now on women empowerment through education and healthcare facilities.
All states should ensure that women get education and healthcare facilities which is on par with boys, he told the annual conference of Delhi Medical Association here.
"After this horrendous incident (Delhi gang-rape) when the focus is on issues of women and girls, entire concentration should be on their education and health. All governments should see how educated they are. We have to see that they don`t drop out after some level of education," he said.
Advani praised the efforts made by BJP-ruled states in this regard.
"They (women) should get the same opportunity as available to boys. I feel happy that my chief ministers have made efforts in this direction to ensure that literacy and education is maximum among girls," he said.
Exhorting doctors and medical practitioners to provide best healthcare to women, he said, "In health sector, efforts should be made to bring down maternal and infant mortality. Ensure that nutrition is available to children."
Hoping that the Association will make suitable proposals to ensure best healthcare facilities for women, Advani said he will also raise the issue in Parliament.
"People say 2013 should be declared as the year of the girl child and women. If we worry about this, we should be able to convey a message to all the doctors of the country in this regard. I think it will be a great achievement," he said.
He praised the role played by Indian medical fraternity at international level and asked them to lead by example.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers