For first time, India pays homage to 1962 China war martyrs
New Delhi: Paying homage to Indian soldiers who fought the war with China 50 years ago, Defence Minister AK Antony on Saturday said India has modernised its military infrastructure and stressed that its armed forces were capable of protecting the country against any such threat in future.
For the first time since the 1962 war, the Indian defence establishment officially honoured the martyrs and all those who participated in the war against China in which India lost a large portion of its territory.
Antony, along with his deputy, Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju, Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh and the three services chiefs, paid homage to the 1962 war heroes and laid wreaths at Amar Jawan Jyoti - "the flame of the immortal soldier".
"I would like to assure the nation that India of today is not the India of 1962. Over the years, successive governments, learning lessons from the past, strengthened our capabilities and modernised our armed forces," Antony replied, when asked whether India was capable of tackling any threat from China in future.
"We are confident armed forces will be able to protect the border in the event of any threat," he said, on the sidelines of the event to remember and honour soldiers who valiantly tried to fight off Chinese aggression.
"We will vigorously continue to strengthen our capabilities," he stressed.
"Nothing changed. This is the 50th year and we thought this is the time the whole nation must pay homage to the officers and jawans who lost their lives to protect our border," Antony replied, when asked why the government decided to honour the soldiers and martyrs of the 1962 war 50 years later.
Antony stressed that the "major lesson" India has learnt from the 1962 war was that the country needed to strengthen its armed forces to protect the borders.
"That we are doing and now we are in a position to involve armed forces, intelligence agencies and all those involved in the protection of national security that process is much stronger," he said.
Alluding to the decades-long boundary dispute, Antony stressed that India was holding a dialogue with China to find a solution and has established a mechanism to "immediately settle" any tensions on the border.
Special representatives of India and China have held 15 rounds of talks to resolve the boundary dispute, but have not made much headway.
When asked about the government`s decision on the Henderson Brookes report on the 1962 war, he said: "Let me take a decision."
The Defence Minister added that all issues relating to setting up of the national war memorial at India Gate have been resolved and it was in the final stages of being cleared by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered