Govt asks HCs to grant bail to undertrials
New Delhi: Government has requested the Chief Justices of the High Courts to grant bail to the undertrials who could be released on such an arrangement, an
RTI reply has said.
Although, the government does not interfere in the working of judiciary, such a recommendation is understood to have been prompted by overcrowding of jails.
The government, in an RTI response received by activist Subhash Agrawal, said, "It may be mentioned that grant of bail to accused/undertrials is within the domain of the courts.
"The government does not interfere in the functioning of the courts. The courts frame their own rules and procedures and decide the case based on the law of land.
"However, the government has requested all the Chief Justices of High Courts to launch a campaign for releasing on bail those undertrial prisoners who are entitled to be released," the reply from Law Ministry said in the RTI response.
Recently, some senior Congress leaders including general secretary Digvijay Singh have advocated bail for the undertrials against whom probe had been completed.
He had expressed his views on micro-blogging site Twitter as well as in his interviews.
Quoting Justice VR Krishna Aiyar, former Supreme Court judge, the Congress leader had said, "Once a person is chargesheeted and the investigation in the particular case is completed, every accused has a right to get bail as a principle...I think this is something our judiciary should take into consideration."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory