India asks mission to take up attack on fishermen
New Delhi/Rameswaram: India has asked
its mission in Colombo to take up the issue of 16 fishermen
being allegedly injured by the Sri Lankan Navy with the
authorities in that county.
Sixteen fishermen from Rameswaram were injured in an
alleged mid-sea attack by Sri Lankan naval personnel while
fishing near the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL)
in Palk Straits.
Ministry of External Affairs has asked its mission in
Colombo to take it up the issue with Sri Lankan authorities
concerned, official spokesperson in the Ministry said
The Lankan naval personnel had yesterday attacked the
fishermen with wooden logs, stones and bottles, resulting in
bone fracture of a 25-year-old youth and serious injuries to
others, according to police.
The youth, who suffered the fracture, said it was a
"brutal" attack by the Lankan navalmen who surrounded 25 boats
of the fishermen. "They damaged the boats, snapped the fishing
nets and lashed out at us with logs and pelted stones," he
Meanwhile, a Fisheries Department official described the
attack as a violation of human rights.
Local fishermen association leaders Sesu and Devaraj said
the Sri Lankans, who had come in a naval ship, intimidated and
frightened the fishermen.
The two slammed the Centre for remaining "mute spectator"
to recurring attacks on fishermen of Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened