India pitches for BrahMos induction in Russian naval fleet
New Delhi: India on Tuesday asked Russia to start inducting the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles in its naval fleet to further strengthen the joint venture between the two countries.
The two sides had formed the joint venture to produce the supersonic cruise missiles in 1998 and since then, all three wings of the Indian armed forces have ordered BrahMos for their inventory but the Russian side is yet to do so.
In India, the Navy and the Army have already inducted the BrahMos missiles and work is on to develop an air-launched version of the missile to be equipped on the SU-30MKI aircraft.
During the visit of Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin to the BrahMos complex here, head of the Joint Venture A Sivathanu Pillai urged the visiting dignitary to ensure induction of the missile in Russian Navy, officials said here.
The Russian Deputy Prime Minister was given a presentation about the missile`s capabilities and recent achievements along with live demonstration of the mobile launcher.
Assuring his full support to the BrahMos CEO, Rogozin said, "BrahMos is not only a successful joint venture but also a model for cooperation which has immense political value for our two countries."
During the visit, Rogozin was also shown the development of the various variants of the missiles and the future plans of the joint venture company including a futuristic vision plan--2050.
Rogozin was accompanied by Russian Ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin, Head of United Aircraft Cooperation Pogosyn Mikhail and Head of Rosoboronexport Isykin Anatoli during the visit to the complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda