India pitches for BrahMos induction in Russian naval fleet
New Delhi: India on Tuesday asked Russia to start inducting the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles in its naval fleet to further strengthen the joint venture between the two countries.
The two sides had formed the joint venture to produce the supersonic cruise missiles in 1998 and since then, all three wings of the Indian armed forces have ordered BrahMos for their inventory but the Russian side is yet to do so.
In India, the Navy and the Army have already inducted the BrahMos missiles and work is on to develop an air-launched version of the missile to be equipped on the SU-30MKI aircraft.
During the visit of Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin to the BrahMos complex here, head of the Joint Venture A Sivathanu Pillai urged the visiting dignitary to ensure induction of the missile in Russian Navy, officials said here.
The Russian Deputy Prime Minister was given a presentation about the missile`s capabilities and recent achievements along with live demonstration of the mobile launcher.
Assuring his full support to the BrahMos CEO, Rogozin said, "BrahMos is not only a successful joint venture but also a model for cooperation which has immense political value for our two countries."
During the visit, Rogozin was also shown the development of the various variants of the missiles and the future plans of the joint venture company including a futuristic vision plan--2050.
Rogozin was accompanied by Russian Ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin, Head of United Aircraft Cooperation Pogosyn Mikhail and Head of Rosoboronexport Isykin Anatoli during the visit to the complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill