India releases Sri Lankan boats, fishermen
New Delhi: The Coast Guard has released 11 Sri Lankan fishermen who were detained in Indian waters in May along with two fishing boats, it was announced on Monday.
A Sri Lankan government statement said the arrests and seizures were made off the Andhra Pradesh coast.
Following the intervention of Sri Lanka`s deputy foreign minister and the help provided by the Indian high commission in Colombo, all 11 men were released over a week ago, the statement said.
"The vessels are expected to reach Sri Lankan shores by Aug 8."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway