India, Russia to review defence ties
Moscow/New Delhi: India and Russia on Tuesday begin a review of the entire spectrum of their defence cooperation apart from exchanging views on regional and global security at the 11th inter-governmental commission on military technical cooperation in Moscow.
The meeting will be co-chaired by Indian Defence Minister AK Antony and his Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov.
Among the issues that the two sides will discuss include the joint development of the fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) and medium transport aircraft (MTA). Indian Air Force will get 250 FGFAs and 45 MTAs later in this decade.
These apart, India and Russia will also review the refit of Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier that the Indian Navy bought in 2004. The delivery of the warship has been delayed by four years and is expected to arrive only by the end of 2012.
Antony, who arrived here on an official visit on Monday, will "discuss urgent issues of bilateral relations in the (military) sphere", the Russian Defence Ministry said in a statement in Moscow
The head of Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport, Anatoly Isaikin, said in September that India remains Russia`s largest strategic partner in military-technical cooperation.
He said Russia was taking part in 20 tenders in India, with which it has a military-technical cooperation agreement until 2020.
The cooperation programme stipulates that Russia will transfer the K-152 Nerpa attack submarine to India on a 10-year lease by the end of 2011. The deal was signed in 2004.
Other aspects of cooperation include the contract to supply India with 80 Mil Mi-17-V5 helicopters, four of which were delivered last week to IAF. The contract will be completed by the end of 2013.
The Indian delegation includes Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma, Secretary (Defence Production) Shekhar Aggarwal, Lt Gen MS Buttar, Air Marshal RK Sharma, Vice Admiral NN Kumar, DRDO Chief Controller of Research and Development Avinash Chander, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited chairman and managing director Ashok Nayak and Director General (Acquisition) Vivek Rae.
Meanwhile, Antony today paid homage at the Victory Park to defence personnel who lost their lives during World War-II.
The Indian defence minister laid a wreath at the World War-II memorial as a mark of respect to the departed soldiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt