India, UK discuss defence, counter-terrorism
New Delhi: Seeking to restore momentum to their bilateral ties, India and UK on Thursday discussed a wide range of issues, including defence and counter-terrorism while agreeing to hold bi-annual talks to tackle threats from cyber crime.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and his British counterpart William Hague, who held comprehensive delegation- level talks here, also deliberated upon the security situation in the region, including Afghanistan and Pakistan.
The two sides reviewed progress made to strengthen civil nuclear energy cooperation, both commercially and through their institutions.
The volatile situation in Syria also came up during the talks with both sides expressing readiness to support the efforts for peaceful resolution to the crisis there.
The two sides also decided to enhance cooperation in the area of cyber security, structured dialogue which was held for the first time last month, and agreed to conduct their Cyber Dialogue on a bi-annual basis.
At a joint press conference here, the two leaders spoke about the situation in the region while underlining the importance of closer contacts between the two countries.
On UK moves to slash aid of 280 million pounds per annum to India by half, Khurshid made it clear that New Delhi is not unduly worried about it.
"Aid is past, trade is future" and the countries are looking at the future," he said.
Khurshid also said, "If we did not discuss it (aid issue), it did not merit a discussion."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened