India, US on same side on freedom: Envoy
Washington: The India-US relationship is defined by a pragmatic realisation that they are on the same side on eliminating forces threatening their freedom and development, according to Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao.
"The fact that this `GPS`, as it were, identifies our relationship is certainly an encouraging augury for the future," she said on Monday at a seminar on `India as a Global Power: Contending Views from India`.
"Indeed, it should provide a beacon for our future efforts," Rao said at the seminar jointly organised by the Centre for a New American Security, in partnership with The George Washington University`s Rising Powers Initiative.
"The relations between India and the United States are defined by shared values, convergent interests, the need to bring more progress and prosperity to our peoples," she said.
There was also "the pragmatic realisation that we are on the same side when it comes to eliminating those forces that threaten the freedom of our democracies, and hinder our development".
India`s global outlook and foreign policy is a reflection of the priorities that it has defined for itself as it seeks to develop, to be secure, to withstand external threats, to ensure that it`s national and developmental interests are not diluted by actions by hostile players in the global arena, Rao said.
"Today India and the US share a convergence of interests to ensure security of our people and stability in the world," she said.
Noting the progress made in bilateral relationship across a wide range of sectors in the last two years or so, Rao said: "Our multi-faceted partnership covering almost every field of human endeavour, is now on a steady, onward course."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune