India, US on same side on freedom: Envoy
Washington: The India-US relationship is defined by a pragmatic realisation that they are on the same side on eliminating forces threatening their freedom and development, according to Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao.
"The fact that this `GPS`, as it were, identifies our relationship is certainly an encouraging augury for the future," she said on Monday at a seminar on `India as a Global Power: Contending Views from India`.
"Indeed, it should provide a beacon for our future efforts," Rao said at the seminar jointly organised by the Centre for a New American Security, in partnership with The George Washington University`s Rising Powers Initiative.
"The relations between India and the United States are defined by shared values, convergent interests, the need to bring more progress and prosperity to our peoples," she said.
There was also "the pragmatic realisation that we are on the same side when it comes to eliminating those forces that threaten the freedom of our democracies, and hinder our development".
India`s global outlook and foreign policy is a reflection of the priorities that it has defined for itself as it seeks to develop, to be secure, to withstand external threats, to ensure that it`s national and developmental interests are not diluted by actions by hostile players in the global arena, Rao said.
"Today India and the US share a convergence of interests to ensure security of our people and stability in the world," she said.
Noting the progress made in bilateral relationship across a wide range of sectors in the last two years or so, Rao said: "Our multi-faceted partnership covering almost every field of human endeavour, is now on a steady, onward course."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report