‘Indian defence cos new target of cyber criminals’
New Delhi: Indian defence companies are
increasingly becoming target of cyber criminals as they are
vulnerable to breaches of cyber security, according to a
report by Trend Micro.
The attacks by criminals in the cyber space are aimed to
infect the e-mail addresses as well as the systems.
The report said that cyber criminals send out emails with
PDF attachments to companies. Once infected it is very
difficult to remove the malicious content from the systems or
to detect on what amount of data is being used under such
It further said that attack is being done on the Indian
defence firms from the past few weeks and was started in the
month of July this year.
Apart from India, defence firms in the USA, Japan, Israel
have also fallen victim to criminals operating in cyber space.
According to an estimate, cyber crime is an underground
economy that is estimated at over USD 100 billion (annually)
"In total, the attackers compromised 32 computers;
however, there were multiple compromises at several locations.
This network has been active since July, 2011 and is
continuing to send out malicious documents in an attempt to
compromise additional targets.
"While this network has managed to compromise a
relatively small number of victims, there is a high
concentration of defence industry companies among the victims.
Moreover, the fact that specific malware components are
created for specific victims indicates a level of
intentionality among the attackers," Trend Micro Country
Manager India and SAARC Amit Nath said.
Trend Micro is a global leader in network anti-virus and
internet content security software and services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Bank of Baroda's total business takes Rs 90,000-crore hit in 2015-16
- Rupee rebounds 6 paise to 67.05 vs USD
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Thisara Perera penalised, Mitchell Starc reprimanded for ICC code of conduct breaches
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'