Indian Navy Chief to visit Malaysia
New Delhi: India and Malaysia will explore ways to strengthen their military ties during the five-day visit of Navy chief Admiral D K Joshi to Kuala Lumpur starting from Monday.
As part of its `Look East` policy, India has been increasing strategic ties with countries like Singapore, Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.
During his visit, Joshi is expected to meet the top Malaysian defence leadership including his counterpart Admiral Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Jaafar and discuss a wide range of bilateral issues on defence cooperation, a Navy official said.
Malaysia has been a close ally of the Indian armed forces and the two sides have several common equipment such as the SU-30MKI aircraft and Scorpene submarines.
The Navy chief is also expected to visit some important military installations of the Malaysian armed forces.
The Malaysian Navy has reportedly been seeking training in submarine operations from Indian personnel and has also evinced interest in procurement of the supersonic cruise missile BrahMos.
Meanwhile, India and Oman will hold the ninth edition of their bilateral biennial exercise `Naseem Al Bahaar` tomorrow off the coast of Oman, in the North Arabian Sea.
"In this, the ninth edition of the bilateral exercise, Indian Naval Ships Mysore, Tarkash and Tabar (stealth frigates) and Aditya (fleet tanker) will be participating under the Command of the Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet," a Navy release said here.
The Royal Omani Navy is being represented by vessels like Al Muazzar, Al Mussandam, Al Naja and landing ship RNOV Temsah, along with Royal Air Force of Oman aircraft F-16, Hawks and Jaguars.
The focus of the exercise this year would be on Surface Warfare, Visit Board Search and Seizure (VBSS), anti-air warfare, air operation, advanced helicopter operations and maritime interdiction operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days