‘Italian marines to be prosecuted under Indian law`
Thiruvananthapuram: Holding that the two
Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen off
Kerala coast would be prosecuted under the Indian law, Defence
Minister A K Antony today said the investigation into the case
was progressing in the right direction.
"The case will be preceded under the Indian law.
Judiciary in the country is independent," Antony told
"The incident of shooting down of two hapless fishermen
off the coast of Kollam on February 15 was unfortunate and
equally condemnable," he said.
"The investigation in the case was progressing on the
right direction and the Kerala government was handling it very
strongly and powerfully. The Centre had extended full support
to the state`s initiative," he said.
The arrested Italian marines -- Latore Massimiliano and
Salvatore Girone -- have been charged with murder under
Section 302 of IPC.
A Special Investigation Team led by Kochi commissioner,
M R Ajith Kumar is probing the case.
The victims -- Valentine Jalastine and Ajeesh Binki --
set out to sea in a boat along with nine fishermen from
Neendakara fishing harbour.
The two fishermen were allegedly killed by the marines of
Italian ship `Enrica Lexie` when they fired at their boat on
The Italian authorities have contended that the fishing
boat was fired, mistaking it to be a pirate vessel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’