Kerala fishermen killing: Italy concerned over delay in trial, refuses to send witnesses
New Delhi: Expressing concern over the delay in the trial of its marines charged with murder, Italy on Wednesday ruled out sending four seamen as witnesses in the case and sought other legal options to take forward the investigation.
Italian Deputy Foreign Minister Stefan De Mistura met External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid here to convey concern over the delay in the trial.
During the meeting, Khurshid expressed willingness of his ministry to facilitate "direct" interactions between the teams of the two countries to better understand their respective positions in the case, Spokesperson in the External Affairs Ministry said.
However, official sources ruled out any "out of court" settlement in the matter.
While refusing to send four other marines, who were witness to the killing of fishermen off Kerala coast allegedly by two of their colleagues, for the investigation, the Italian minister asked for other options to take forward the trial.
The other options include appearance through video conferencing, a visit by a team of NIA to Italy for questioning them or the investigators can send them written questions which they would reply.
The four marines, who were on board Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` and were present at the spot when their colleagues Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone allegedly shot dead two fishermen on February 15, 2012, were summoned by the National Investigation Agency which is handling the probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam