KV Thomas envisages `agricultural` India in new book
New Delhi: Envisaging a dream for India to succeed as an agricultural superpower, Union Minister KV Thomas has come out with a book which focuses on various challenges the country faces in the farm sector.
"For the Grains", portraying Thomas` understanding of the challenges faced by the sector, will be released by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar here tomorrow.
The book contains Thomas` speeches that he delivered as the Minister of State for Agriculture before being elevated as Food Minister with independent charge last year.
According to Thomas, the speeches he delivered at various forums were expressions of policy decisions, either attempted or wished for, to contribute to a vibrant farm development in India.
"I believe that my speeches would give the readers an indication of what my vision would be for India if India were to succeed not just as an industrialized country but basically as an agriculture country," he said.
In his foreword, agriculture scientist M S Swaminathan has noted that Thomas` different lectures have brought together the four major areas -- conservation, cultivation, consumption and commerce -- relevant to sustainable food production and nutrition security.
"The four C model of agriculture planning and development proposed Thomas is the foundation for sustainable food security," Swaminathan said.
He said that the National Food Security bill, introduced by Thomas in Parliament, is envisaged to make access to food a legal right.
"When our National Food Security Act becomes law, it will be the largest social protection programme for the elimination of hunger that has ever been undertaken in human history," Swaminathan wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event