Lankan navy personnel attack TN fishermen in Mid-Sea
Nagapattinam: In yet another mid-sea attack, Sri Lankan Naval personnel allegedly attacked six fishermen from Tamil Nadu`s Nagapattinam district.
The fishermen, who had put out to sea on March 20, claimed they were attacked by the Sri Lankan naval personnel on March 23 while they were fishing in a mechanised boat about 35 nautical miles off-Kodiakarai coast, officials said.
The fishermen alleged the Lankan Navy personnel arrived in a speed vessel and surrounded their boat and attacked them before snatching away their GPS instrument, navigation and communication tools. However, they managed to reach the shore on Sunday.
The fishermen also alleged the Lankan Navy damaged their fishing nets and threw away the food packets and other valuables into the sea, the officials said.
The fishermen have lodged a complaint with coastal security police and fisheries authorities that the navy personnel also torn Indian flag mounted on the boat, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video