Lankan navy personnel attack TN fishermen in Mid-Sea
Nagapattinam: In yet another mid-sea attack, Sri Lankan Naval personnel allegedly attacked six fishermen from Tamil Nadu`s Nagapattinam district.
The fishermen, who had put out to sea on March 20, claimed they were attacked by the Sri Lankan naval personnel on March 23 while they were fishing in a mechanised boat about 35 nautical miles off-Kodiakarai coast, officials said.
The fishermen alleged the Lankan Navy personnel arrived in a speed vessel and surrounded their boat and attacked them before snatching away their GPS instrument, navigation and communication tools. However, they managed to reach the shore on Sunday.
The fishermen also alleged the Lankan Navy damaged their fishing nets and threw away the food packets and other valuables into the sea, the officials said.
The fishermen have lodged a complaint with coastal security police and fisheries authorities that the navy personnel also torn Indian flag mounted on the boat, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use