NCPCR registers more than 1000 cases of child abuse
New Delhi: A total of 1,059 cases of sexual
and physical abuse of children were recorded by the National
Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) in the last
five years out of which 156 cases were of the misdeeds carried
out by family members.
"NCPCR has received 1,059 complaints related to sexual
and physical abuse of children from January one, 2007 to
December 2011," Women and Child Development Minister Krishna
Tirath informed the Lok sabha on Friday.
Informing the House that the National Crime Records
Bureau, the nodal agency which maintains such records, has not
released data for the current year, Tirath said, in respect of
the complaints received by NCPCR, 156 cases are related to
sexual abuse by family members and others.
In a written reply, she said, NCRB has registered a total
of 26,694 cases of sexual and physical abuse against children.
Maximum number of 4,912 cases were registered from Madhya
Pradesh, followed by 3,264 in Maharashtra.
On prevention of trafficking of women and children,
Tirath said, "advisories for combating trafficking have been
issued in 2009 and October 2011 by the government to all the
states and union territories."
Further, the Ministry has been implementing the
"Ujjawala" scheme, under which financial assistance is
provided for rescue and rehabilitation of victims of
trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation including
repatriation of cross-border victims, she said.
Tirath told the House that India has ratified the
United Nations Convention against Transnational Organised
Crime including the protocol to prevent, suppress and punish
trafficking in persons, specially women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened