NCPCR registers more than 1000 cases of child abuse
New Delhi: A total of 1,059 cases of sexual
and physical abuse of children were recorded by the National
Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) in the last
five years out of which 156 cases were of the misdeeds carried
out by family members.
"NCPCR has received 1,059 complaints related to sexual
and physical abuse of children from January one, 2007 to
December 2011," Women and Child Development Minister Krishna
Tirath informed the Lok sabha on Friday.
Informing the House that the National Crime Records
Bureau, the nodal agency which maintains such records, has not
released data for the current year, Tirath said, in respect of
the complaints received by NCPCR, 156 cases are related to
sexual abuse by family members and others.
In a written reply, she said, NCRB has registered a total
of 26,694 cases of sexual and physical abuse against children.
Maximum number of 4,912 cases were registered from Madhya
Pradesh, followed by 3,264 in Maharashtra.
On prevention of trafficking of women and children,
Tirath said, "advisories for combating trafficking have been
issued in 2009 and October 2011 by the government to all the
states and union territories."
Further, the Ministry has been implementing the
"Ujjawala" scheme, under which financial assistance is
provided for rescue and rehabilitation of victims of
trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation including
repatriation of cross-border victims, she said.
Tirath told the House that India has ratified the
United Nations Convention against Transnational Organised
Crime including the protocol to prevent, suppress and punish
trafficking in persons, specially women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price