New Parliament building after several consultations
New Delhi:The ambitious proposal to build an alternative Parliament House complex would be finalised only after wide ranging consultations, government sources said on Tuesday.
The sources said that the Urban Development(UD) ministry is examining the proposal to go in for a new building which would take the place of Parliament House, which has witnessed severe wear and tear since it was built in 1927.
A nod of the Prime Minister`s office and the entire cabinet will be taken before proceeding on the project, the first of its type in Independent India.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar is expected to constitute soon a High Powered Committee (HPC) which is likely to set in motion the issue of an alternative Parliament House Complex.
The issue gained momentum after the fire at the Mantralaya, the Maharashtra government headquarters in Mumbai, with the Speaker asking for immediate steps to avoid such an occurrence in the Parliament House, which has not received a no objection fire certificate so far.
Sources said if the decision to build a new building for the Parliament is finalised, an important aspect that would have to be kept in mind is the requirements of the future.
Though both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha together have some 800 members, their number is bound to increase in the future in view of issues like women`s reservation and dual member constituencies.
The construction of a new building would have to factor that in along with the issue of growing footfalls in the complex housing the world`s largest parliamentary democracy.
The proposal for a new building emanates from the fact that the present 85-year-old heritage building has outlived its usefulness and is not well equipped to cater to the growing demands of the 21st century.
The Speaker will constitute the HPC after consultations with the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha soon after the Vice Presidential election scheduled for August 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you