NRHM scam: UP Minister appears before CBI
New Delhi: The CBI today questioned former
UP Minister Babu Singh Kushwaha here in connection with
alleged swindling of funds in the National Rural Health
Mission and related three murders of top health officials.
Kushwaha, once a close-aide of Chief Minister Mayawati,
arrived at CBI Headquarters this morning where questioning
started about his tenure as Family Welfare Minister and
alleged irregularities in the funds during that period,
The agency had summoned Kushwaha and former Health
Minister Anant Mishra here for questioning in connection with
the multi-crore NRHM scam and three murders of health
officials which had led to state-wide furore over allegation
of rampant corruption in execution of the central scheme, they
The Ministers were asked to appear before the agency
today and tomorrow for questioning which would also cover
murder of two CMOs and deputy CMO Y S Sachan who was
found dead inside a district jail, they said.
The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court had on July
27 directed CBI to probe the murder of the two CMOs and also
into the alleged irregularities in implementation of the
National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) within three months.
The CBI had started probe into the alleged irregularities
in spending of Rs 10,000 crore allocated to Uttar Pradesh as
central funds under NRHM, after registering five preliminary
enquiries following orders of the High Court.
The agency has constituted a special investigating team
comprising 26 officers, including five Superintendents of
Police under the overall supervision of Additional Director,
Joint-Director and two DIGs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?