Off-loading of woman passenger: Inquiry sought
New Delhi: Demanding "strict and immediate
action" against the guilty over off-loading of a differently-
abled professor from a Spicejet flight in Kolkata, Social
Justice Minister Wednesday met his Civil Aviation counterpart and
sought an inquiry into the incident.
"Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul Wasnik
today met his Civil Aviation counterpart Ajit Singh and sought
an inquiry into the incident. Wasnik also demanded strict and
immediate action against the airline people behind the
incident," ministry officials said here.
Yesterday the Social Justice Ministry had written a
letter to the Civil Aviation Secretary demanding an urgent
probe and action against the guilty into the incident in which
Kolkata-based Professor Jeeja Ghosh - suffering from cerebral
palsy- was offloaded from a Mumbai-bound flight.
The incident took place on February 19 and the Social
Justice Minister initiated action into it after a written
complaint was received from 42 year-old Ghosh who was honoured
for her active participation in the field of rights for the
disabled people on the National Disability Day last year.
"In the meeting with the Civil Aviation Minister, Wasnik
stressed upon the fact that private airlines must be sensitive
towards the needs of differently-abled people and they must be
educated and trained for this purpose," the officials said.
During the 20-minute-long meeting, Wasnik also raised
objection over the airlines not installing `ambu-lift` by
which disabled people are physically lifted taken and brought
out of aircraft.
"As per the rules, all airlines should have ambu-lift to
facilitate unassisted entry and exit for the disabled people
from the aircraft. Most of the airlines do not have such
facility and it adds to the discomfort of disabled
passengers," the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list