Pak-based militants increase infiltration bids into J&K: MHA
New Delhi: Pakistan-based militant groups have intensified their infiltration attempts along the border in Jammu and Kashmir where around 300 terrorists continue to be active, according to the Home Ministry.
In a presentation at the meeting of the Consultative Committee for Home Ministry today, it said efforts from Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir based elements to spawn enhanced level of violence in the state by scaling up infiltration and smuggling of arms and ammunition from across the LoC continue.
"In 2012, 264 terrorists attempted infiltration from across the LoC as compared to 247 in 2011. Also, there was a rise in instances of successful infiltration as compared to previous years with 121 terrorists entering Jammu and Kashmir in 2012 as compared to 52 in 2011," the Home Ministry told the Consultative Committee members.
Meanwhile, ministry sources said there have been increased attempts by militant groups based in PoK to send extremists into Jammu and Kashmir in recent weeks.
Though few militants have been successful to sneak into Jammu and Kashmir, most of the infiltration attempts have been foiled by security forces deployed along the border, sources said citing intelligence inputs.
They said as of now around 250 to 300 militants are active in the state and are waiting for opportunities to disturb peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH