Pak-based militants increase infiltration bids into J&K: MHA
New Delhi: Pakistan-based militant groups have intensified their infiltration attempts along the border in Jammu and Kashmir where around 300 terrorists continue to be active, according to the Home Ministry.
In a presentation at the meeting of the Consultative Committee for Home Ministry today, it said efforts from Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir based elements to spawn enhanced level of violence in the state by scaling up infiltration and smuggling of arms and ammunition from across the LoC continue.
"In 2012, 264 terrorists attempted infiltration from across the LoC as compared to 247 in 2011. Also, there was a rise in instances of successful infiltration as compared to previous years with 121 terrorists entering Jammu and Kashmir in 2012 as compared to 52 in 2011," the Home Ministry told the Consultative Committee members.
Meanwhile, ministry sources said there have been increased attempts by militant groups based in PoK to send extremists into Jammu and Kashmir in recent weeks.
Though few militants have been successful to sneak into Jammu and Kashmir, most of the infiltration attempts have been foiled by security forces deployed along the border, sources said citing intelligence inputs.
They said as of now around 250 to 300 militants are active in the state and are waiting for opportunities to disturb peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!