People cannot make law: Aruna Roy
Chennai: In an apparent criticism of social
activist Anna Hazare and his protest for passing Lokpal Bill,
National Advisory Committee member Aruna Roy on Thursday said
"people cannot make a law" and it had to be done by a drafting
"Law has to be looked at it detail. If you change one
comma or one full stop a right becomes no right. People can
demand a law, people can say what kind of principle should be
in a law... But law cannot be drafted by the people and we
can`t do the rubber stamp either. We have to set up a drafting
committee and it should draft a law," Roy said while
delivering a lecture here.
Referring to reported remarks of team Anna member Arvind
Kejriwal that "if Anna says it is the right thing, people will
rubber stamp it," Roy said, "Our argument is that no one
should rubber stamp. "
"We don`t mean to say that the three or ten people will
be given full authority on what they want in that nor are we
saying that people do not have the right to say what they want
to say," she said.
Slamming media for making "a black and white debate"
reporting on the issue, she questioned "Can we allow the
electronic media to take hold the definition of the democracy
Roy had earlier said Anna Hazare was "ill-adviced" in
going on the recent fast at the Ramlila Maidan in Delhi
demanding passage of Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog