Pregnant women to get free medical treatment from conception
Jaipur: The Centre will provide free pre-natal health care and ambulance facilities to pregnant women across the country, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad announced on Tuesday.
Under the Janani Suraksha Yojna (JSY) scheme, pregnant women are provided free medical treatment during the delivery and post natal care.
In addition to this, the minister said pregnant women will be given "free medical and ambulance facilities" from conception to delivery.
They will also be able to avail free consultation from doctors at government hospitals for 45 days from delivery and infants will be given free treatment at the hospitals for one year, Azad said at a press conference.
The minister said adolescent children (16 years and above) will be provided weekly supplements of iron and Folic Acid to prevent anaemic diseases in the children.
In February this year, Congress president Sonia Gandhi had launched `Rashtriya Bal Suraksha Karyakram` providing free medical care and diagnostic tests to children from class one to 12, he said.
For better awareness of available medical care programmes, facilities and doctors, slots with Doordarshan and All India Radio had bought, where interactive sessions with speciality and super-speciality doctors were broadcast five days in a week for an hour, the minister said.
Noting that the new doctors are reluctant to join their first posting in rural areas, Azad said, the Health Ministry was contemplating to include `internship` of MBBS students with rural posting, and a salary benefit of Rs 20,000 extra under National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) to those posted in rural areas.
"First time the seats in medical colleges were raised from 150 to 250," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'