Prez Pranab cuts short West Bengal visit in view of Phailin
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee, who is at his ancestral home in West Bengal for Durga Puja, has cut short his visit and will return here today in view of Cyclone `Phailin` that is set to hit Odisha coast.
The President has decided to cut short his visit keeping in view the weather conditions due to Phailin, Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Venu Rajamony said.
He said the President will arrive here this evening. He will also participate in Dussehra festival in Ramlila Maidan tomorrow, Rajamony said.
Mukherjee had arrived at his ancestral home in Mirati, a village 200 km from Kolkata in West Bengal, for Durga Puja on October 10.
Cyclone `Phailin`--meaning sapphire in Thai language-- is set to make a landfall this evening in Odisha`s Gopalpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony