Prez Pranab cuts short West Bengal visit in view of Phailin
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee, who is at his ancestral home in West Bengal for Durga Puja, has cut short his visit and will return here today in view of Cyclone `Phailin` that is set to hit Odisha coast.
The President has decided to cut short his visit keeping in view the weather conditions due to Phailin, Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Venu Rajamony said.
He said the President will arrive here this evening. He will also participate in Dussehra festival in Ramlila Maidan tomorrow, Rajamony said.
Mukherjee had arrived at his ancestral home in Mirati, a village 200 km from Kolkata in West Bengal, for Durga Puja on October 10.
Cyclone `Phailin`--meaning sapphire in Thai language-- is set to make a landfall this evening in Odisha`s Gopalpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!