Railways offer train tickets on cell phone
New Delhi: Booking train ticket was never so
easy as you can now get it done through your mobile phone.
After initial registration and downloading of suitable
software on the mobile handset with Internet facility, it will
be possible for the mobile users to book a ticket through
their own mobile.
Launched by Indian Railway Catering and Tourism
Corporation (IRCTC), a PSU under Railway Ministry, has been
offering the service of booking e-ticket over the mobile
phone, said a senior Railway Ministry official.
After booking, the passenger will receive a reservation
message with full details of the ticket including PNR, train
no, date of journey and class.
"This virtual message would be treated at par with the
print-out of the e-ticket which at present is taken out by the
passengers and is known as Electronic Reservation Slip (ERS),"
Hence, with the virtual message, passengers would not be
required to take a print-out of e-ticket to be carried with
them. Showing the reservation message of the confirmed ticket
on their mobile during travel will be sufficient. Internet is
required on mobile phones to book tickets through mobile.
The passenger has to register at the time of first
transaction and thereafter book the ticket using his ID and
The service was introduced on a pilot basis for a few and
now the more than a thousand users are availing this facility
everyday, he said.
The service charge is similar to e-tickets-- Rs 10 for
Sleeper class and Rs 20 for other higher class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city