RTI implementation needs strengthening: Habibullah
New Delhi: National Commission for Minorities Chairperson Wajahat Habibullah Wednesday said there is a need to strengthen the process of implementation of the Right to Information Act.
"The government needs to reform and strengthen the process of implementation of the Right to Information Act as it is the government which has access to every information," the former chief information commissioner told reporters here.
"This in an important act through which the government has to ensure transparency in the dissemination of information," he added.
Habibullah`s remarks come close to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s suggestion to review the transparency law.
Addressing the annual convention of the Central Information Commission Oct 15, the prime minister said: "Even as we recognise and celebrate the efficacy and the effectiveness of the Right to Information Act, we must take a critical look at it. There are concerns that need to be discussed and addressed honestly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda