RTI implementation needs strengthening: Habibullah
New Delhi: National Commission for Minorities Chairperson Wajahat Habibullah Wednesday said there is a need to strengthen the process of implementation of the Right to Information Act.
"The government needs to reform and strengthen the process of implementation of the Right to Information Act as it is the government which has access to every information," the former chief information commissioner told reporters here.
"This in an important act through which the government has to ensure transparency in the dissemination of information," he added.
Habibullah`s remarks come close to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s suggestion to review the transparency law.
Addressing the annual convention of the Central Information Commission Oct 15, the prime minister said: "Even as we recognise and celebrate the efficacy and the effectiveness of the Right to Information Act, we must take a critical look at it. There are concerns that need to be discussed and addressed honestly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?