RTI implementation needs strengthening: Habibullah
New Delhi: National Commission for Minorities Chairperson Wajahat Habibullah Wednesday said there is a need to strengthen the process of implementation of the Right to Information Act.
"The government needs to reform and strengthen the process of implementation of the Right to Information Act as it is the government which has access to every information," the former chief information commissioner told reporters here.
"This in an important act through which the government has to ensure transparency in the dissemination of information," he added.
Habibullah`s remarks come close to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s suggestion to review the transparency law.
Addressing the annual convention of the Central Information Commission Oct 15, the prime minister said: "Even as we recognise and celebrate the efficacy and the effectiveness of the Right to Information Act, we must take a critical look at it. There are concerns that need to be discussed and addressed honestly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list