Russia not a mediator between India, China: Envoy
Panaji: Russia does not see itself as a mediator between India and China, a senior diplomat said on Friday. Russian Ambassador to India Alexander M Kadakin said that recent developments (Chinese incursion in Ladakh) were "unfortunate", but China and India successfully sorted them out.
"Things that happened between both the countries (India and China) were very unfortunate. It is very good that both the countries sorted out the issues without any force but with negotiations," Kadakin said, talking to reporters.
Responding to the question whether Russia could mediate between the two countries as all the three are a part of BRICS grouping, he said, "Russia does not have a role to play as a mediator between both the countries which are part of BRICS.
"We always want to see India and China as friends," he said, adding that the border disputes had been inherited from the past.
Russia welcomed the way the things were settled between the neighbours, he said. "We think it (negotiations) is a good way to settle bilateral issues."
The BRICS (comprising Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) as an international association was growing from strength to strength, he stated.
The Ambassador was in Panaji on the occasion of appointment of his country`s `honorary consul` for Goa, which has become a favourite destination for Russian tourists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister