Russia not a mediator between India, China: Envoy
Panaji: Russia does not see itself as a mediator between India and China, a senior diplomat said on Friday. Russian Ambassador to India Alexander M Kadakin said that recent developments (Chinese incursion in Ladakh) were "unfortunate", but China and India successfully sorted them out.
"Things that happened between both the countries (India and China) were very unfortunate. It is very good that both the countries sorted out the issues without any force but with negotiations," Kadakin said, talking to reporters.
Responding to the question whether Russia could mediate between the two countries as all the three are a part of BRICS grouping, he said, "Russia does not have a role to play as a mediator between both the countries which are part of BRICS.
"We always want to see India and China as friends," he said, adding that the border disputes had been inherited from the past.
Russia welcomed the way the things were settled between the neighbours, he said. "We think it (negotiations) is a good way to settle bilateral issues."
The BRICS (comprising Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) as an international association was growing from strength to strength, he stated.
The Ambassador was in Panaji on the occasion of appointment of his country`s `honorary consul` for Goa, which has become a favourite destination for Russian tourists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you