Second term for Nitin Gadkari as BJP president
Mumbai: : Decks were cleared for a second consecutive term for Nitin Gadkari as BJP President with the national executive on Thursday amending the party constitution to facilitate the move.
Gadkari’s current term as president ends in December when he is expected to get a second term, thereby giving him a tenure upto December 2015.
A resolution amending the party constitution was moved at the national executive meeting here by former party chief Rajnath Singh and seconded by another former party chief M Venkiah Naidu.
Announcing the passage of the amendment, party general secretary Jaiprakash Nadda told reporters that the provision would also be applicable in case of state and district presidents.
Besides amending the relevant provisions in the constitution, the national executive also set in motion the process of organisational elections.
Senior leader Thawarchand Gehlot was appointed electoral officer for the purpose.
It also initiated membership drive, making party leader Radha Mohan Singh incharge of the task.
Zeenews.com had predicted that the way would be paved for Nitin Gadkari’s second term as president once party leader Sanjay Joshi - known as one of the biggest critics of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi – would resign from the party’s national executive.
Hours before the start of BJP meet in Mumbai today, party leader Sanjay Joshi - known as one of the biggest critics of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi - has resigned from the party’s national executive.
In his resignation letter sent to BJP president Nitin Gadkari, Joshi stated that he was resigning from the National Executive Committee under pressure from top leaders like Narendra Modi.
Modi decided to attend the party’s national executive meeting in Mumbai only after Joshi handed his resignation.
Modi has so far maintained a stoic silence on the whole issue.
Modi has been upset with party president Nitin Gadkari after he reinstated former general secretary Sanjay Joshi in the party and made him the in-charge of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections.
Joshi had to quit his post in 2005 after his purported sex CD hit headlines.
Modi had not turned up to campaign in Uttar Pradesh, even as Gadkari was keen that he did. He even skipped the last party conclave in Delhi held in December last year. Since then the Gujarat CM and Gadkari have not been in the best of terms.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced