Siachen avalanche: PM offers assistance to Pak
New Delhi: Extending a helping hand, Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday offered to provide humanitarian
assistance to Pakistan that is running against time to dig out
135 people, mostly soldiers, buried under snow after a massive
avalanche slammed into a key Army camp in the Siachen sector.
The Prime Minister made the offer for humanitarian
assistance during his meeting with Pakistan President Asif Ali
Zardari here at his Race Course Road residence.
Singh said India was ready to offer any help to Pakistan.
Zardari appreciated India`s offer and said he will seek
assistance if needed.
Meanwhile, in Pakistan, rescuers resumed their desperate
search after suspending the operation late last night because
of darkness and poor weather, though there were no signs of
survivors a day after avalanche hit the camp.
Military officials told the media that there was no
information on survivors.
Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani flew to Skardu to
personally review the rescue operation.
Heavy machinery was airlifted from the garrison city of
Rawalpindi for the rescue effort, officials said.
The avalanche hit a battalion headquarters at Gyari in
Siachen sector, burying 124 security personnel and 11
civilians under up to 80 feet of snow in an area a kilometre
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog