Syria reaches out to India to resolve crisis
New Delhi: Syrian President Bashar-Al-Asad is sending his top aide Buthaina Shabaan to India to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and brief him about the ongoing conflict in the country.
Buthaina, who is Asad`s political and information advisor, is expected to meet Manmohan Singh Tuesday when she will deliver a special message.
She is also expected to meet other officials and apprise them about the latest security situation in the country, Syrian diplomats said.
Buthaina had visted India along with President Asad in 2008.
Buthaina`s visit follows Iranian Speaker Ali Larijani`s talks with the prime minister, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and other leaders during which the Syrian situation came up for discussion.
Syria feels that India like Russia, Iran and China should play a positive role in ending violence in that country. It is supportive of UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi`s initiative on direct negotiations between two warring factions.
India on many occasions has opposed military intervention in Syria and advocated negotiated settlement. India told the UN that further militarisation of the conflict will make political settlement complicated and difficult.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam