Take healthcare services closer to homes: Prez
New Delhi: Voicing concern over inadequate healthcare facilities across the country, President Pranab Mukherjee Wednesday suggested that such services should be taken closer to homes of families and said government planned a substantial increase in health budget over the next ten years.
Inaugurating a healthcare conference here, he said as per World Health Organisation data only 35 per cent people have access to essential medicines and healthcare facilities.
"Public health system must be greatly expanded and strengthened across the nation. We need to take health services closer to the homes of the families," he said at the 10th Knowledge Millennium Summit on `Curing the Incurables - Sharing of Innovations` organised by ASSOCHAM.
He said government has planned a substantial increase in healthcare expenditure from 1.2 per cent of the GDP during the 11th Plan to 2.5 per cent GDP by 2017.
"By the end of the 13th Plan government plans to spend three per cent of the GDP on health care," he said.
Mukherjee stressed on out-of-the-box managerial and administrative reforms in the health departments at the state and central levels.
"We need to develop effective models of healthcare for the ever-increasing urban population and at the same time not ignore rural healthcare needs. The foundation of India`s national health system must be strong, sensitive and efficient," he said.
Mukherjee said new technologies like Information and Communications Technology (ICT) can take a major role in improving health care delivery.
"One solution is telemedicine -- the remote diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of patients via videoconferencing or the internet," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn