Telangana formation linked to Lok Sabha polls: CPI-M
New Delhi: The CPI-M on Wednesday said the formation of Telangana appeared to be linked to the forthcoming Lok Sabha election, and warned that this will trigger calls to split up other states too.
“This decision seems to have been impelled by the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections,” the Communist Party of India-Marxist said in a statement. “It will give a fillip to demands for separate states in other places.”
The CPI-M, which has opposed the break-up of Andhra Pradesh, said it had always stood for the integrity of states based on the democratic principle of linguistic states.
“The issue of the formation of Telangana will now have to be decided by parliament,” it said.
It appealed to people of all the regions in Andhra Pradesh “to maintain peace and harmony while the matter is ultimately decided by parliament”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!