Telangana formation linked to Lok Sabha polls: CPI-M
New Delhi: The CPI-M on Wednesday said the formation of Telangana appeared to be linked to the forthcoming Lok Sabha election, and warned that this will trigger calls to split up other states too.
“This decision seems to have been impelled by the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections,” the Communist Party of India-Marxist said in a statement. “It will give a fillip to demands for separate states in other places.”
The CPI-M, which has opposed the break-up of Andhra Pradesh, said it had always stood for the integrity of states based on the democratic principle of linguistic states.
“The issue of the formation of Telangana will now have to be decided by parliament,” it said.
It appealed to people of all the regions in Andhra Pradesh “to maintain peace and harmony while the matter is ultimately decided by parliament”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves