Telangana formation linked to Lok Sabha polls: CPI-M
New Delhi: The CPI-M on Wednesday said the formation of Telangana appeared to be linked to the forthcoming Lok Sabha election, and warned that this will trigger calls to split up other states too.
“This decision seems to have been impelled by the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections,” the Communist Party of India-Marxist said in a statement. “It will give a fillip to demands for separate states in other places.”
The CPI-M, which has opposed the break-up of Andhra Pradesh, said it had always stood for the integrity of states based on the democratic principle of linguistic states.
“The issue of the formation of Telangana will now have to be decided by parliament,” it said.
It appealed to people of all the regions in Andhra Pradesh “to maintain peace and harmony while the matter is ultimately decided by parliament”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak