Thousands have died in Uttarakhand floods: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj has said thousands of people have died in the floods and landslides in Uttarakhand and asked Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to use the Army for the rescue operations in the state.
Swaraj discussed the flood situation and the state of the people stranded in parts of Uttarkhand yesterday night in a telephone conversation with Shinde. She said on Twitter that she has requested Shinde to "requisition the Army to undertake the rescue operations".
She said Shinde has assured all help.
"Thousands of people have died and there is no rescue operation," Swaraj said.
She said that she had got an SOS from Ajay Bhatt, Leader of the Opposition in Uttarakhand Assembly, who had informed her that the entire Kedarghati has been washed away.
BJP president Rajnath Singh also expressed concern over the situation in Uttarakhand.
In a message on Twitter, Singh said, "Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh are currently facing a national calamity. I urge the Centre and state governments to provide immediate relief."
He also appealed to BJP cadres to provide immediate help and assistance to people affected by the massive floods and landslides.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Kanhaiya Kumar questions JNU VC for calling hunger strike 'unlawful', compares self with Bhagat Singh, Gandhi
- Apple loses China trademark case for ''iPhone'' on leather goods
- VIDEO: Martin Guptill takes time off IPL; plays cricket with kids at Dharavi
- Tata group doubles published patents in 2 years to 7,000
- Watch: South Korean mom throws kids out of multi-story building on fire