Thousands have died in Uttarakhand floods: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj has said thousands of people have died in the floods and landslides in Uttarakhand and asked Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to use the Army for the rescue operations in the state.
Swaraj discussed the flood situation and the state of the people stranded in parts of Uttarkhand yesterday night in a telephone conversation with Shinde. She said on Twitter that she has requested Shinde to "requisition the Army to undertake the rescue operations".
She said Shinde has assured all help.
"Thousands of people have died and there is no rescue operation," Swaraj said.
She said that she had got an SOS from Ajay Bhatt, Leader of the Opposition in Uttarakhand Assembly, who had informed her that the entire Kedarghati has been washed away.
BJP president Rajnath Singh also expressed concern over the situation in Uttarakhand.
In a message on Twitter, Singh said, "Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh are currently facing a national calamity. I urge the Centre and state governments to provide immediate relief."
He also appealed to BJP cadres to provide immediate help and assistance to people affected by the massive floods and landslides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says