Thousands have died in Uttarakhand floods: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj has said thousands of people have died in the floods and landslides in Uttarakhand and asked Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to use the Army for the rescue operations in the state.
Swaraj discussed the flood situation and the state of the people stranded in parts of Uttarkhand yesterday night in a telephone conversation with Shinde. She said on Twitter that she has requested Shinde to "requisition the Army to undertake the rescue operations".
She said Shinde has assured all help.
"Thousands of people have died and there is no rescue operation," Swaraj said.
She said that she had got an SOS from Ajay Bhatt, Leader of the Opposition in Uttarakhand Assembly, who had informed her that the entire Kedarghati has been washed away.
BJP president Rajnath Singh also expressed concern over the situation in Uttarakhand.
In a message on Twitter, Singh said, "Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh are currently facing a national calamity. I urge the Centre and state governments to provide immediate relief."
He also appealed to BJP cadres to provide immediate help and assistance to people affected by the massive floods and landslides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic