Tibetan leader under lens for alleged tax evasion
New Delhi: A top Tibetan religious leader has come under the scanner of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence for allegedly evading duty charges on four luxury vehicles imported from Bhutan.
Acting on an information, the DRI claimed to have found that the four vehicles bearing Bhutan registration numbers were brought in the country allegedly by the present Gyalwang Karmapa`s guru Kenting Tai Situ Rinpoche without paying requisite fee or completing necessary formalities.
The DRI authorities have written to Palpung Sherubling Monastery, a seat of Rinpoche, for providing necessary information in this regard.
"Till date, we neither have received responses from the Monastery nor have been provided with relevant papers of the cars. We have asked Himachal Pradesh Police to impound the vehicle," a DRI official said.
The vehicle which were brought in the country include Isuzu Trooper and Land Rover.
"We have received a letter from the DRI. The vehicles have already been impounded from the premises of Palpung Sherubling Monastery. A case has already been registered by Baijnath Police Station of Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh in this regard," said Kangra SP Diljeet Thakur.
The case has been registered under Section 207 of the Motor Vehicles Act which authorises the police to seize or detain a vehicle in case it is not being used in the prescribed manner.
When contacted, Situ Rinpoche`s office said, "The issue is now between the government of Bhutan and the Ministry of External Affairs, government of India. The MEA has written to the Himachal government to settle the issue".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands