Time to reset moral compass of society, says Pranab
Kolkata: Amid the rising instances of atrocities against women in the country, President Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said it was time to "reset the moral compass" of the society.
"Dignity of women is inviolable under all circumstances at all times. Can we hold out heads high when we look around ourselves?" said Mukherjee during an event here.
In the city to launch " Bichitra" - an online variorum website comprising works of Rabindranath Tagore - at Jadavpur University, he urged the society to set high moral standards.
"Therefore, it is high time for us when we are making Tagore`s wonderful creations available to all through modern gadgets, technology and digitisation. Let us set high moral standards before us. Let us reset our moral compass," Mukherjee said.
"Since the dawn of civilisation the only teaching and lesson given to the people was to respect our mothers," he added.
Sponsored by the ministry of culture, Bichitra includes all manuscripts and all editions of Tagore`s works and happens to be the largest database of original texts by a single author.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown