Time to reset moral compass of society, says Pranab
Kolkata: Amid the rising instances of atrocities against women in the country, President Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said it was time to "reset the moral compass" of the society.
"Dignity of women is inviolable under all circumstances at all times. Can we hold out heads high when we look around ourselves?" said Mukherjee during an event here.
In the city to launch " Bichitra" - an online variorum website comprising works of Rabindranath Tagore - at Jadavpur University, he urged the society to set high moral standards.
"Therefore, it is high time for us when we are making Tagore`s wonderful creations available to all through modern gadgets, technology and digitisation. Let us set high moral standards before us. Let us reset our moral compass," Mukherjee said.
"Since the dawn of civilisation the only teaching and lesson given to the people was to respect our mothers," he added.
Sponsored by the ministry of culture, Bichitra includes all manuscripts and all editions of Tagore`s works and happens to be the largest database of original texts by a single author.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!