Time to reset moral compass of society, says Pranab
Kolkata: Amid the rising instances of atrocities against women in the country, President Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said it was time to "reset the moral compass" of the society.
"Dignity of women is inviolable under all circumstances at all times. Can we hold out heads high when we look around ourselves?" said Mukherjee during an event here.
In the city to launch " Bichitra" - an online variorum website comprising works of Rabindranath Tagore - at Jadavpur University, he urged the society to set high moral standards.
"Therefore, it is high time for us when we are making Tagore`s wonderful creations available to all through modern gadgets, technology and digitisation. Let us set high moral standards before us. Let us reset our moral compass," Mukherjee said.
"Since the dawn of civilisation the only teaching and lesson given to the people was to respect our mothers," he added.
Sponsored by the ministry of culture, Bichitra includes all manuscripts and all editions of Tagore`s works and happens to be the largest database of original texts by a single author.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred