Time to reset moral compass of society, says Pranab
Kolkata: Amid the rising instances of atrocities against women in the country, President Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said it was time to "reset the moral compass" of the society.
"Dignity of women is inviolable under all circumstances at all times. Can we hold out heads high when we look around ourselves?" said Mukherjee during an event here.
In the city to launch " Bichitra" - an online variorum website comprising works of Rabindranath Tagore - at Jadavpur University, he urged the society to set high moral standards.
"Therefore, it is high time for us when we are making Tagore`s wonderful creations available to all through modern gadgets, technology and digitisation. Let us set high moral standards before us. Let us reset our moral compass," Mukherjee said.
"Since the dawn of civilisation the only teaching and lesson given to the people was to respect our mothers," he added.
Sponsored by the ministry of culture, Bichitra includes all manuscripts and all editions of Tagore`s works and happens to be the largest database of original texts by a single author.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH