`UK favourite place for Indian workers, students`
New Delhi: The United Kingdom is a favourite destination for both Indian workers and students, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.
There were about 5,00,000 Indian workers and 39,000 students in the UK, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said during Question Hour.
As per estimates of Indian missions in 29 European countries, there were 70,248 workers in Italy, 42,500 in Germany, 34,130 in Spain and 19,250 in the Netherlands. Indian workers in Greece, Russia and Switzerland totaled about 33,000.
As far as students are concerned, the maximum number was in France (6,374), Russia (4,500) and Italy (1,198), she said.
To query regarding reports of discrimination of Indian students abroad, Soni said the Overseas Affairs Ministry has not received any specific complaint.
Soni was replying on behalf of Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP