`UK favourite place for Indian workers, students`
New Delhi: The United Kingdom is a favourite destination for both Indian workers and students, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.
There were about 5,00,000 Indian workers and 39,000 students in the UK, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said during Question Hour.
As per estimates of Indian missions in 29 European countries, there were 70,248 workers in Italy, 42,500 in Germany, 34,130 in Spain and 19,250 in the Netherlands. Indian workers in Greece, Russia and Switzerland totaled about 33,000.
As far as students are concerned, the maximum number was in France (6,374), Russia (4,500) and Italy (1,198), she said.
To query regarding reports of discrimination of Indian students abroad, Soni said the Overseas Affairs Ministry has not received any specific complaint.
Soni was replying on behalf of Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani