`UK favourite place for Indian workers, students`
New Delhi: The United Kingdom is a favourite destination for both Indian workers and students, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.
There were about 5,00,000 Indian workers and 39,000 students in the UK, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said during Question Hour.
As per estimates of Indian missions in 29 European countries, there were 70,248 workers in Italy, 42,500 in Germany, 34,130 in Spain and 19,250 in the Netherlands. Indian workers in Greece, Russia and Switzerland totaled about 33,000.
As far as students are concerned, the maximum number was in France (6,374), Russia (4,500) and Italy (1,198), she said.
To query regarding reports of discrimination of Indian students abroad, Soni said the Overseas Affairs Ministry has not received any specific complaint.
Soni was replying on behalf of Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister