`UK favourite place for Indian workers, students`
New Delhi: The United Kingdom is a favourite destination for both Indian workers and students, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.
There were about 5,00,000 Indian workers and 39,000 students in the UK, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said during Question Hour.
As per estimates of Indian missions in 29 European countries, there were 70,248 workers in Italy, 42,500 in Germany, 34,130 in Spain and 19,250 in the Netherlands. Indian workers in Greece, Russia and Switzerland totaled about 33,000.
As far as students are concerned, the maximum number was in France (6,374), Russia (4,500) and Italy (1,198), she said.
To query regarding reports of discrimination of Indian students abroad, Soni said the Overseas Affairs Ministry has not received any specific complaint.
Soni was replying on behalf of Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption
- Indian ISIS operative says he met Paris bombing accused in Iraq last year