‘Urban renewal mission to be extended by 2 yrs’
New Delhi: Government today said that it was
considering extending its urban renewal scheme by two years to
enable completion of projects undertaken across the country.
"We are considering to extend the Jawaharlal Nehru
National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) by two years," Urban
Development Minister Kamal Nath said the Lok Sabha during
He said the second phase of the JNNURM was in preparatory
stage and new projects would be taken up after its launch.
"157 projects accounting for a total investment of Rs
20,478.63 crore have been sanctioned under the Urban
Infrastructure and Governance component of the JNNURM which
covers 65 identified cities," Nath said referring to
implementation of water supply schemes.
He said under the Urban Infrastructure Development Scheme
for Small and Medium Towns component, 438 projects accounting
for a total investment of Rs 8,412.36 crore have been
Nath said five projects accounting for a total investment
of Rs 235.26 crore have been sanctioned under the Urban
Development Scheme for Satellite Towns.
In reply to another supplementary, Minister of State for
Urban Development Saugata Roy said the Centre has no plan to
set up more reverse osmosis desalination plants to meet
drinking water requirements as it was a costly proposition.
He said Rs 871 crore has been sanctioned for
implementation of a 100 MLD sea water reverse osmosis
technology based desalination plant at Nemmeli for Chennai
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!