Urgent need for dialogue, reconciliation in Maldives: India
New Delhi: Concerned over the "continuing political instability" in Maldives, India on Friday said there was an urgent need for dialogue and reconciliation among all political parties and also sought safety and security of Indians and its interests in that country.
India also said it has been concerned over the occurrence of recent anti-India demonstrations and statements by a section in Maldives, official spokesperson in the MEA said, adding a senior government official had visited that country and conveyed India`s "concern" in this regard.
"We have seen reports related to the arrest of former Secretary General SAARC and other members of the Majlis in the Maldives earlier today.
"India has maintained regular dialogue with Maldivian authorities. As a close and friendly neighbour, we are concerned at the continuing political instability in the country. There is an urgent need for dialogue and reconciliation among all political parties in Maldives in a peaceful and democratic manner," the spokesperson said.
He said India also urges the Maldivian government and all political parties to adhere strictly to democratic principles and the rule of law thus paving the way for the holding of free, fair and credible elections. "Violence and coercive measures are not conducive to this end," he added.
"India has been concerned at the occurrence of anti-India demonstrations and statements by a section in Maldives. A senior official of the Government of India visited Maldives recently and conveyed our concerns in regard to recent developments in the country.
"The situation is being monitored closely keeping in view the need to ensure safety and security of Indians in Maldives and Indian interests in that country," he said.
Some of the top leaders of ousted President Mohamed Nasheed`s party MDP have been arrested on the charges of alcohol consumption, the party said today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof