US NGOs fuelling Kudankulam protests: PM
New Delhi: At a time when the Centre is trying to address concerns over the Kudunkulam nuclear power plant, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh has blamed several US-based NGOs for fuelling protests against the Russian-aided project in Tamil Nadu.
Reports, Friday, said the Prime Minister made these allegations during an interview to an American journal `Science`.
"The atomic energy programme has got into difficulties because these NGOs mostly, I think, based in the US, don`t appreciate the need for our country to increase energy. The local NGO-led protests have stalled the commissioning of two 1000 mw nuclear reactors," Singh was quoted as telling the journal.
The Prime Minister’s tough remarks have come days after media reports claimed that foreign agents were whipping up a campaign against the Rs 13000-crore Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) located in Tirunelveli district of the state.
The Russian-aided plant is expected to address the acute power shortage problem in the southern state. However, the project has landed into trouble waters due to massive protests by activists and the local villagers over safety concerns in the wake of the Fukushima disaster in Japan early last year.
Due to massive protests, the local villagers are concernedabout their lives and safety in a big nuclear accident takes place and the long-term impact it would have on the population in the area.
Despite a series of negotiations between the Central government-appointed expert panel and the protestors, the controversy over the Kudunkulam nuclear project has refused to die down.
To allay concerns over the Indo-Russian joint project, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has given repeated assurance to the Tamil Nadu government led by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa that there would be no compromise on safety at the plant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3