We must have right to disagree in democracy: JD-U MP
New Delhi: A day after a cartoon featuring BR Ambedkar was withdrawn following uproar in the parliament, Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Shivanand Tiwari Sunday said taking away "right to disagree" was harming democracy.
Speaking at a special sitting to mark 60 years of parliament, Tiwari expressed concern over growing fanaticism.
"Fanaticism is increasing a big challenge. We are not giving space to the right to disagree," Tiwari said.
"Every other day, they try to influence which book will one read, what essay will be written, and which cartoon will be drawn on the basis of power," he said.
"I want to ask if there is no right to disagree, how will the democracy function. It is the soul of democracy...," Tiwari said.
A cartoon featuring BR Ambedkar, which was published in a textbook of the National Council for Education, Research and Training (NCERT), had raised uproar in parliament, following which government assured removing it from the book.
While two members of the committee that approved the book, Yogendra Yadav and Suhas Palshikar resigned, Palishkar`s office in Pune was ransacked Saturday by Republican Party of India workers.
The seemingly harmless cartoon features Bhimrao Ambedkar, considered the architect of the Indian constitution, seated on a snail that has `constitution` written on it while the first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru was shown standing behind whipping the snail, with a crowd in the background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule