White House to host Hindu Seva event in August
Washington: The White House and an organisation of the Hindu American community, will co-host the 2012 National Seva Conference, where participants would discuss community service, innovation and tradition.
The two-day event from August 3 to 4 is being co-hosted by the Hindu American Seva Charities (HASC) in association with the White House Office of Public Engagement, Office of Faith Based and Neighbourhood Partnerships and President`s Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge.
HASC is an American organisation advancing seva (community service), interfaith collaboration, pluralism, social justice and sustainable civic engagement to ignite grassroots social change and build healthy communities.
In a statement, HASC said the event would also mark introduction of the Next Generation Seva Leaders (NGSL) programme to promote seva and to address social justice issues.
This is an innovative civic and service leadership programme to impact change and encourage new community service ideas.
The goal for the applicants is to develop impactful service projects that they can commit to doing in any of their own communities, HASC said.
"Seva is an important part of our Dharma and sadhana (spiritual practice). We hope with this understanding, the participants will use ‘seva’ to alleviate current social justice issues," Shekar Narasimhan, HASC founding Board member, said.
"Faith plays a significant role in the political landscape and moral values provide a common ground for diverse communities to come together to develop solutions," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing