CBI arrests hacker who stole Microsoft keys worth lakhs
New Delhi: CBI Friday nabbed an alleged hacker who entered into systems of software giant Microsoft to steal product keys worth lakhs and is feared to have compromised some government websites as well in the process.
A school drop-out who claims himself to be an MBA, Prabhu D was arrested by cyber cell of CBI from Chennai for allegedly stealing Microsoft`s product keys as well as cheating unsuspecting consumers.
Highly-placed sources said Rs 18 lakh were found in his account which has been frozen. They said the financial damage incurred to Microsoft will be ascertained during the detailed questioning of Prabhu who is being brought here in custody.
The sources said prima facie it appears that product keys stolen by him could be in several lakhs.
They said exact amount will be known through forensic examination of his laptop and questioning.
They said it seems that he allegedly hacked some government websites where Microsoft softwares were being used while stealing product keys.
The sources, however, refused to give details of specific sites which could have been compromised saying it could hamper the probe.
Product keys are specific codes for any software which are purchased from the company to certify that the copy of the program used is original.
CBI has registered a case U/s 379 (theft) of IPC and provisions of Information Technology Act, 2000, CBI spokesperson Kanchan Prasad said here today.
"It is alleged that that Microsoft Volume License Service Centre (VLSC) agreements in respect of different overseas and Indian customers of the Microsoft were unauthorisedly being accessed (hacked) for the purpose of stealing product keys of the different Microsoft products as well as cheating, by selling these keys online," she said.
The officer said searches at his premises led to recovery of hard disks of computer system, router used for committing the alleged crime along with numbers of Microsoft product kits and other documents.
"Account of the accused which he has used to collect the amount of sale of Microsoft product keys was also frozen. The accused was produced today in the court at Egmore, Chennai and has been granted transit remand," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what