`Fastest ever` broadband speeds achieved by UK scientists
Zee Media Bureau/ Salome Phelamei
London: Raising hopes of millions of net users for more efficient data transfer in the current infrastructure, scientists in the UK have achieved the "fastest ever" broadband speeds in a test.
The test was jointly conducted by British Telecom (BT) and French networking equipment company Alcatel-Lucent over the 255 mile distance between London`s BT tower and Ipswich between in October and November last year.
Researchers achieved the high speeds of 1.4 terabits per second - enough to transmit 44 high-definition movies in just a second, using existing fibre cable technology.
The test is being seen as highly important for internet service providers (ISPs), as it proves that greater amount of data can be sent through existing broadband infrastructure without the need for costly upgrades.
There are faster methods of transmitting data - such as the use of complex laser technology - but this is the first test to achieve such high speeds in “real world” conditions, outside testing labs, ‘BBC News’ reported.
Kevin Drury, optical marketing leader at Alcatel-Lucent, likened the development to reducing space between lanes on a busy motorway, enabling more lanes of traffic to flow through the same area.
In the test, scientists used `flexigrid` infrastructure to create an `alien super channel, made up of seven 200 gigabits per second (Gbps) channels. These channels were combined to give a total capacity of 1.4 terabits per second.
This results in a 42.5 per cent increase in the efficiency of data transmission compared to the current standard networks available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest